Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sammy - The Big Dog With The Even Bigger Heart.....

We had to put our friend down this morning. Though his hips had continued to deteriorate, his will to live never diminshed.
At 1:00 this morning, he had a seizure. We sat up with him and got him to rest at about 2:30. At 8:00 this morning, I got up and let him outside. I looked out a couple of minutes later and he was having another seizure in the driveway. We knew it was time.
I sat with him all the way to the vet's office and we both held him as he took his last breath....
A friend of Eric's sent me an email last December. I've been saving the words for this moment.
A Pet's Ten Commandments
1) My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2) Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3) Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4) Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
5) Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6) Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget.
7) Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
8) Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or week.
9) Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10) On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
Sammy would have been 12 on Thursday. I love you Sammy!! Dad

3 comments:

NeenahPete said...

I am so sorry to hear you've lost Sammy. The Pet's Ten Commandments was a very touching tribute and brought tears to my eyes. My deepest sympathies.

Dave Anderson said...

Dewey,

I am also sorry to hear about Sammy. I know how hard it is and it never gets any easier as they become such a part of your life. I also agree that the tem commandments are very nice and I will remember them as soon we will have to put down one of our aging pets. Take care.

Dewey said...

Hey guys, thank you for your words.
It's so lonely here without him but he's not hurting anymore and I take solace in that.....