Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fishin', The Last Weekend??

Memorial Day weekend is normally a good time to be fishing our lake. This year, because of a couple of cold fronts, the crappies were pushed out. We did catch a mess of sunfish and Taylor helped us clean them.
Sunday night, John and I decided to make a campfire and watched the grandkids fish off the dock as the sun was setting. Of course, Taylor nailed this nice crappie and the kids caught a few more before they decided to play soccer in the dark...
Taylor also caught this nice bass from shore and with the walleye she caught two years ago, she is becoming quite a fisher person. I told her next is to gut out grandpa's deer. We'll see how that goes.
Earlier that evening John, Glenda and all three grandkids went fishing. I lit up a cigar, poured a Jack and sat on the hill looking over the lake. I thought of all the years we've spent up here (17 to be exact). I thought of all the great people who made the journey up 94 to hang out with us. I don't know if this was ever a home or just a destination, a gathering point for us and our friends.
We pulled the boat that night. While John headed for the boat landing with the trailer, I made one last swing around the lake. A lake I've fished for 35 years. Sometimes I hated that lake. Sometimes I loved it.
But, the only constant in life is change and I think it's time. As Bob Seger said, "..turn the page".






3 comments:

NeenahPete said...

Dewey - I have been enjoying your posts. Dave Anderson was spot on when he commented that your "posts reflect a relaxing look on life, family, and the things that are important". Thanks for providing an occasional escape from the politically charged blogs I usually read. Oh, and welcome to Wisconsin!

Dewey said...

Hello Pete, Glad you are enjoying my blog. Yeah, I keep it simple but who knows, once I am retired in Wisconsin maybe I can dress things up a bit. Nah, I probably won't. I created a monster in Mr. Anderson but I do enjoy his posts.
I checked out your blog and playlist. Anyone who likes Queen, George Harrison, The Bodeans and Hank Williams Jr. can't be all bad. NOW, Hank has a good friend named Kid Rock. Whadya think of "The Kid"?
Next week I pull the computer and the world will have to get along without my posts for a couple of months. I'm sure once I get back online I'll have lots and lots of important stuff to tell everyone....
I'll borrow my son's computer now and then to keep an eye on you guys...
Take care.....

NeenahPete said...

I'm sorry to say that I know little about Kid Rock other than I liked the song "Only God Knows Why" and that he punched Tommy Lee. My like for music might be wide and shallow but I know a good song when I hear it. I'll miss your posts but will look forward to you being back. Take care..