Sunday, October 5, 2008

And We Never Heard The Fat Lady Sing........

Ok, maybe that's not politically correct anymore...like I care...
At any rate, Walker and the intrepid Old Norwegian went a huntin' Saturday. The first kill happened almost immediately as I ran over a coon with my pickup. The first kill for Smokey! (In case some of you haven't been paying attention, that's the name of my truck....) But I digress...
Never seen such dry conditions up where we grouse hunt. The grouse were few and far between. In fact, we only jumped two all day and never had as shot at either. As the afternoon closed in on us. I told Walker that I had never hunted up there where someone didn't fire a shot. I said it wasn't over until the fat lady started to sing (although I think I could hear her warming up in the distance). I suggested one last spot I hadn't hunted in years. It was on the way out so what the heck.
When we pulled up I noticed a lot of white berries. Grouse do love those. So off we went for one last walk. After about a hundred yards or so I hollered over to Walker as I had lost sight of him. His response was "just a minute", followed 30 seconds later by three shots. He yelled over that he had hit one so I went over to help find it. Turns out he was getting ready to "answer natures call" when he saw a grouse running through the woods. That bird saved us from being skunked and I announced that I saw the fat lady heading east. We made a swing around, to the east, and headed back towards the road.
I got out first and watched Walker walk out of the woods carrying a wine bottle. Oh, and his zipper was down as well. Maybe the fat lady??? Who knows....

2 comments:

Stone said...

Weird scenes inside the gold mine, man... You guys should stick to fishing, where you can hide behind the island or the odd floating bog to do your business.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to say he "recycled" that ziplock bag that carried his sandwich in.