Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dewey's Pumpkins (and other things)

Last year I harvested 15 pumpkins. Thought I'd increase my production this year as the deer love 'em. Well, now I have a boatload. Uffda it's gonna be a bit of work carting them back into the woods. I always overdo it.....
Turkey and archery for deer opened up on the 14th. My plan was to hunt those three jakes I've been watching all summer. Well. the evening before opening Cody and I walked back to the meadow an hour before dark. My mistake! The three birds were standing out there. Cody saw them and took off after them. They, of course, flew away and I haven't seen them since. Cody was quite proud of himself. What are you gonna do......
I did set up my portable blind and hunted for three days but no birds. I finally took the blind down after two nights, I felt I was stretching my luck with the bears around. They did crunch my blind last fall. I had the bright idea to hunt out of a tree stand I have in the area. So, for two nights in a row I had deer in front of me. One big doe literally walked under my stand and stood broadside at 18 yards. And me carrying a shotgun.... I did have a hen turkey walk by a couple of times and though hens are legal in the fall, I passed on her.
I finally got serious and hauled out the bow. Kurt and I spent two days in stands and saw nothing close. I later discovered that the deer were hanging around another stand of mine we weren't hunting. Figures.... Once Kurt left I hunted one stand while the deer were walking by the other one we had been hunting. If only there were two of me.
I took the last two evenings off as it's around 70 degrees and I don't like hunting when it's that warm. Plenty of time left.
So, we drove to Bayfield today and picked up a bushel of Cortland apples. We have apples coming out our ears! But, I get fresh apple pie tonight and the deer get the leftovers.

1 comment:

Dave Anderson said...

Dewey,

What a dilemma you have, dog with more energy than you...turkey's, bear, deer hanging around...it's not even October 1st yet and the problem is?!?! Oh, there's only one of you:-). I'll try to hold back the tears and hide my envy.