Saturday, August 17, 2013

It's Tough Being a Puppy (Living with Dewey)

Mike and Sue paid us a visit this week and we thought we'd take the dogs down to Lake Superior. Cody had never fetched out of water so thought I'd work a bit with him. The first retrieves went well as I kept the sticks close to shore. Well... the next one went a little deeper and my poor pup, knowing nothing of water depth, plunged after the stick. He went under. I can still see his eyes, wide open, under the water. Well he made it out and it took me another 15 minutes before he'd go back in the water. Finally got him swimming. AND, he did need a bath.
We drove up to Bayfield and picked blueberries. Took in some sights and walked a few trails with the dogs. Came home and picked wild blueberries back in our meadow. Raspberries are almost done but the wild blackberries will be ready in a couple of weeks.
Everyone was tired last night so Cody and I took a walk back to the meadow. Pulled the SD card from a trail cam and discovered a bear had been there about 4 minutes before us. Just missed him. Glad we did as I didn't need to be battling a bear over my dog. And, of course, I was unarmed.
Took this pic of Cody with his swollen right eye. Deer fly got him and he looked pretty tough all day. He's laying at my feet as I type this. With everything I put him through, he'd still follow me anywhere. Undying devotion and undying trust.....
Mikey and I managed to pick up some nice crappies and sunnies on a local lake so at least I was able to send them home with some fish. Fishing can be tough in August but with my secret bait and secret fishing spot (thank you Alva), I seem to do OK late in the season. First time I've had the boat out in almost two months. Glad I've still got Mikey.
Fall is coming. I can feel it in the air. One month until fall turkey and bow hunting for deer. It's time......

1 comment:

Dean Eberhardt said...

Dew,
I am looking forward to the blog where Cody discovers your cigar stash or your favorite slippers.