Sunday, March 10, 2013

My New Partner

It's been three years since we had to put Sammy down. I said, "That's it" I didn't want that feeling ever again. That feeling of watching an old hunting partner, and more importantly a good friend, pass away.
I had to finally realize that I was being selfish. Nobody, but nobody would give a dog a better home than us. I quit feeling sorry for myself.
The search was a long one. We wanted a yellow lab because they are so smart and gentle. Whether you hunt or not they are just a great all around dog. I read where they are still the most popular breed. Once again people are copying me......
We wanted a light color because of all the bugs (ticks) up here, plus, well, they really look cool when almost white. Remember, it's always important to look good.
So I found a good breeder who bred a pair of healthy, vet approved dogs. I drove over to central Minnesota in early January, put down a deposit, and got first pick on the upcoming litter.
I wanted a male and on January 31st, four pups were born and they were all males. I've been receiving pictures of all four and Friday we drove over and made our selection. Meet Cody.
He's five weeks old so we will drive back in two weeks and bring him home.
We are busy puppy proofing the house and look forward? to a couple of sleepless nights when he first arrives.
I'll start his training at three months old and am looking forward to having a little buddy with me in the woods. I won't be alone anymore.......

7 comments:

Doug Walker said...

I glad you got another dog. Cody will be a great companion in the woods. A dog fits your lifestyle and gives you someone else to hear the "Ramblings of a Norwegian Mystic". Cody will have a great partner to walk the woods with.... and certainly no one else would love him more or train him better in this world. He better be gettin' me beers by the time I see you next.

Planning a opener this year. What is the date you have on the calendar. I have had my nose to the grindstone at work. Haven't left town for a while and don't intend to until late May. I should come up and see you and hey...... and listen to some more ramblings......

Love ya brother,

Doug

ps Really glad you guys have a new dog. Give Glenda my love and give Cody a pat and a scratch from Doug and Ret.

Doug Walker said...

sorry for the choppy email. I should always proof read. I type too poorly yet quickly not to proof read.

Dave Anderson said...

Wow, some thoughts:
1. Nice looking dog!
2. You deserve it.
3. About time you post something, I was getting worried.
4. Damn, you look good in that hat!

Duane said...

Dave, I get comments every time I wear that cap. It is my favorite.
It's been a long winter. Between exploits with my pup, turkey hunting next month and hopefully some fishing soon afterwards, I should have more to talk about.

Real Texas Fish said...

Dew - Second one from the left like I said, right ? You and Glenda better plan on more than a couple of nights without sleep my friend. Speaking from personal experience. Mel

Duane said...

Sorry Mel.... Second one from the right. He was one of the two lightest in color and he had a blue collar. That was Sammy's color. I just had a feeling he was the one. Cody will wear a blaze orange collar, however. AND, if he keeps me up it's not like I have anything to get up to early in the morning. Of course I could probably call you around 4 AM or so...

Johnny said...

Mr. Anderson...as soon as I saw that hat I figured you would comment...then I scrolled down and there you were!

Good looking dog! Looking forward to a little buddy of my own again some day...