Friday, November 11, 2011

I didn't want to have to post this...

For those people that know me well, they know that "What's Dewey Doin'" is about self deprecating humor in conjunction with my various exploits. I like to make people laugh and don't mind doing it at my expense - sometimes...
I post various pictures of fish and game that I and my buddies harvest along with the stories that MUST go along with them. After all, isn't that what's most important about such exploits?
Early this spring I dragged a lot of lumber way back in the woods to build a new bow stand. I called it "The New Hotel California." I told, and possibly bored, most everyone I know about how I had plans to shoot a big buck out of it. I had the right wind direction, trail cams and knew just when to start hunting out of it. I even made mention in a previous blog on my intentions to shoot the big buck.
Well, Wednesday morning at 10:45 that buck came by. After two years of shooting arrows, weight lifting every other day (which I hate to do) and all the preparation, I unleashed that arrow. Whether that buck took that extra step or I was slightly off with my shot, I didn't get the shot placement I expected. He ran off wounded. There was no blood trail and the misses and I spent 4 1/2 hours criss-crossing the woods to no avail. It snowed that night and was blowing pretty good Thursday morning. I went out anyway and spent an hour and a half looking some more. I didn't expect to find that deer but I had to look. I came home and put the bow away.
Back when Minnesota had that 9 day season, a buddy of mine told me about something his grandfather had told him. He said that if you hunted those 9 days just for that 1/2 second when you pulled the trigger, you should find something else to do as that would be a poor investment of your time. Fortunately, for me, I've never lived for that 1/2 second. Problem is, that 1/2 second is all I've thought about these last two days.
I don't know why that is. In almost 50 years of hunting, I've wounded animals before though. I'd like to think I'll never do it again but nothing is for sure, unless I were to put down the weapons.
This next weekend is the Wisconsin deer opener. All the guys will be coming up and I always look forward to that. There's plenty of deer and the bucks should still be in the tail end of their rut. I hope all the guys get some shooting. For me, I don't care if I even have the opportunity to shoot because I will not live for that 1/2 second. And yes, if the opportunity presents itself, I will pull the trigger.

1 comment:

Dave Anderson said...

Well said, things happen. Expected outcomes verses reality is often 180 degrees apart in a lot more things than deer hunting.