Monday, November 30, 2009

The Opener - 2009

Deer hunting tends to humble a person and this year was no exception. I started the day before opener by making a visit to the ER at St. Marys Hospital in Superior. I contracted Lyme's Disease and was about as sick as one could get. They gave me a shot in the hip and armed with 10 days worth of pills, I headed home. Didn't feel worth a damn on Saturday but hunted anyway.
Remember those big bucks from my previous blog? Well, we never saw them. I shot a nubbins buck Sunday afternoon and Johnny shot a doe Monday. Tuesday I was in the Cities and it poured all day Wednesday. Johnny and the girls came up for the Thanksgiving weekend and we hunted hard. He saw a couple of does and a buck but didn't have a shot. I heard one.....
I was still sitting in a tree when darkness hit Sunday night.
The trail camera is out and I'm already planning new stands. Watch out Mr. Buck, I'll be waiting for you next year......
Oh, and for you folks that wander out where ticks live, read up on Lyme's Disease. It can be wicked if not treated. I was in today for a follow up and though I feel fine, I have to be on pills for another 11 days. They told me if I didn't take them, I would be back inside of three months and that wouldn't be pretty...

4 comments:

Dave Anderson said...

You know, Leinenkugels is known to help prevent Lymes back home in Eleva. Now that you have it might not do too much but it couldn't hurt. My cousins wife got it years ago and it almost killed her. Take care of yourself and think about a tick collar for both you and Sammy next year! It's certainly not something to mess around with.

Dewey said...

Thanks Dave! You keep mentioning Leinenkugels. I'm going to have to try that. Funny my doctor didn't mention it. Maybe he's not a Sconnie??
Human tick collars. I like that idea...Could I get one in blue??
I am feeling pretty good and am still bouncing around the woods. I found a wolf kill yesterday. Some poor fawn got it.

Dean Eberhardt said...

Dewey,
It had been 10 days sense the last update. What the heck? Did you get some snow yet???

NeenahPete said...

Hi Dewey - You must be off the pills by now if you followed doctor's orders. I hope you're doing well. I've never known anyone who had Lyme's Disease but have heard some bad stories about advanced cases. And good luck with Mr. Buck next year!