Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hangin' Out With An Old Friend


I've been busy of late with my trail camera. I got some nice pictures of numerous does, two bucks (one of which is huge), a bear and a crazy rabbit who keeps stealing my apples at night. BUT, Sam likes his picture taken so I opted for my old dog.
Sammy just loves it up here. So many new smells. One day I walked out to one of my stands thinking he was back at the house. I started messing around at the stand and a couple minutes later, I heard a noise, turned around and there he was. He doesn't want to miss a thing and follows me everywhere.
I have to be careful as 5 minutes of walking around in the woods will cause him to be sore and stiff the rest of the day. Big time!
Yesterday he finally discovered deer. He saw a doe and fawn next to the house and growled at them through the window. He wouldn't leave the window until they had left. Last night I let him out and as he walked out of the garage he saw a doe and two fawns across the street. He tried so hard to run after them. I managed to call him off as every such effort causes him to stiffen up so bad. He was happy though as he chased those darn deer away. He likes that.
Today I sighted in a couple of guns behind the house. He had to stay in the house with Glenda as he goes nuts when a gun is fired. Once I was done, he was let out of the house and headed right for where I was shooting. After sniffing around, he headed for the target and tree I had pretty much blown to smithereens sighting in my 30.06. He was looking for the bird. He hasn't hunted in seven years but has never forgotten what it's all about.
Right now he's fast asleep in the kitchen. He's had another big day. Later he'll limp into the bedroom, start to snore, and rest up for whatever tomorrow brings.
I now understand why "old" people get so attached to their pets. People come and go and even good friends and family are only there some of the time. That dog is there every morning when I get up. Ready for a treat, a trip outside and then his breakfast. Oh, and then he has toast with me. Been doing it for 10 1/2 years. I hope we can do it for a little while longer.....

1 comment:

Dave Anderson said...

Dewey,

Great picture. A guy once told me that a dog is truly man"s best friend. Want proof? Just lock your dog and your wife in the trunk for an hour and see who's happier to see you when you let them out!