Sunday, March 22, 2009

Walking with an old friend....

Though it was cold and windy this morning, I wanted to walk down the road to see if I could hear any gobblers. Of course, Sammy wanted to go along. We used to walk all the way to the mailboxes but lately he can only make it to the bend in the road. He still likes to check out all the interesting smells of the critters that wander around after dark. The heart is still strong, the desire is still there but the legs are starting to fail him. When he stops, I know it is time to turn around. I let him make that decision.
I hope before all is said and done, I can take him up to our land in Wisconsin. I know he won't be able to go far but I know he would like it. Walking in the woods, he'd be hunting. Gun or not, he has never forgotten even though it's been seven years since he had the legs to be able to hunt.
And then, his spirit would always be there.....

2 comments:

Dave Anderson said...

Have you ever tried glucosamine? Sometimes they are just too old but I have heard of interesting results. I'd take it myself if it wasn't derived from shrimp shells.

Dewey said...

Sammy has been on Rimadyl for the last 5 years. It's a miracle drug that really has made a difference. It used to be a human drug but had side effects on the liver.
Fortunately for me, I can eat shrimp but am allergic to most green vegetables.....