Sunday, November 2, 2008

Kurt and Dewey go a huntin' (Round Two)

When I discovered the Minnesota deer hunting didn't open up until the second Saturday in November, I decided to take another crack at that elusive quarry, the grouse. Since my normal spot hasn't been overly productive this fall, we decided to hunt north of Mora, in some spots I've hunted off and on over the last 30 years or so. We had stopped going up there after only flushing three birds two years ago.
Well, those three birds must have laid a ton of eggs as we flushed more birds than I had flushed up there in many years. Some flew out of pine trees, some flushed well ahead of us and, of course, some flew in a direction different than that in which we were shooting. We did, however, manage to bring home two.
T'was a great day, great weather, lots of birds to chase and a good time spent with an old friend. It's a shame we don't do that more often.......

No comments: