Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fall Turkey - 2013

These guys have been eluding me for the better part of 6 weeks. First Cody scared away 3 jakes and after that turkeys seemed to appear whenever I wasn't hunting. It's the downside of trail cameras I guess. It's like "Dang, why didn't I hunt yesterday at 2:00"? Then, of course, a small herd would appear across the street on my neighbor's property or at the end of our property while I was driving down the road.
Then there was the night I was armed with my bow and jumped a flock walking out to my bow stand. I went back to the house, got my shotgun and wandered around the woods until almost dark looking for them. Of course, they had disappeared.
Friday night the deer hunters were due up for our annual gun sight in, stand repair weekend. First thing that morning I wandered out to check a trail camera and jumped some birds. Decided to go back after lunch and spend a couple hours hoping 1 might wander back. Well, it only took 20 minutes until this guy showed up. My hunt is over. He's now in the freezer.
Since my archery buck tag is used up I'll probably not doe hunt. I'll wait for the guys to come up in a month to rifle hunt. I've got some work to do on a stand and will increase my training with Cody as he's now 9 months old and just loves the woods. He's not gun shy and finds everything I toss in the weeds. I'm sure he and I can find some trouble to get into.....

1 comment:

Dave Anderson said...

Or maybe keep you out of trouble!