Friday, May 11, 2012

May 11th

Well Eric, I finally did it. I threw out that old down vest of yours. I've been wearing it for 11 years turkey and deer hunting. Every time I hunt. The insulation was shot and the zipper wouldn't come unstuck so I had to pull it over my head every time I put it on or took it off. I liked the burn hole in it and always smiled when I looked at that spot, but it was time.
Today we drove into Superior as there was this big rummage sale for a family with some serious medical bills. We bought a few small items and as we were waiting in line to pay, mom noticed a rack of coats. Though I told her I didn't need any jackets, I ended up over there any ways. Out of this big rack she pulled out the vest. I mean "The Vest". Same color, same lining and same manufacturer as the one I threw away. I had to try it on and it fit. The zipper works and it doesn't have that burn hole but other than that it's"The Vest". Of course I bought it.
As we were walking through the parking lot, mom commented on how ironic it was that we found this identical vest on your birthday. I had thought of that as well.
I will wear it as I wore the old one, every time I hunt. I won't have that burn hole to smile at but that's OK. I still wear one of your T shirts under it. Always have, always will. And who knows, maybe someday it will have that burn hole in it......
You would have been 41 today. I love you my son.....   Dad

4 comments:

Dave Anderson said...

Dewey,

To use your style I differ to a song by the Byrds, written from the book of Ecclesiastics Chapter 3: To everything, turn, turn, turn.
There is a season, turn, turn, turn.
And a time to every purpose under heaven.
A time to be born, a time to die.

As well from Verse 6 it reads:
a time to search and a time to give up,a time to keep and a time to throw away

Although life is never fair, things do seem to show themselves in little ways. It looks like you found a treasure meant just for you

Duane said...

Wow! One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite groups.
This post I will not forget.
Thanks Dave.....

Dave Anderson said...

Dewey,

I have come back to this post maybe 10 times now. It is interesting to see how things have changed us yet I look back and we are really no different than we were 20 years ago. The problem is that we didn't know it then! We will have to go fishing this year for sure.

Duane said...

Dave - I would like that. Any time after mid June would work for me. You know how to find me.... Dew