Monday, June 27, 2011

Visitors from the forest


We've lived up here for almost two years and never saw a bear. Well, I've got trail cam pictures, they destroyed one of my apple trees last fall and, of course, they leave their calling cards on the ground.
Last week, we were watching TV and these two wandered between our two garages and marched down the driveway.
A couple days later, one was standing on our drain field about 20 yards from the house. He walked across the road into the neighbor's woods. A minute later, a deer came charging out of the woods, stood in the field across the road and was hopping up and down. Not a happy deer. About 20 minutes later the bear wandered across the road and walked past my garage and up the little hill where I shoot arrows. I walked out the garage door to see what he was going to do. He walked up to the hay bale I use to support my target, growled and swatted my hay bale. I hollered "Hey" and he stopped and looked at me. I said, "What are you doing"? He stared at me for about 5 seconds and lumbered up the hill and into the woods.
A couple of mornings later, I walked out on my porch with my cup of coffee and saw the back of a bear as he wandered down that very same hill. I went downstairs to do my morning workout. When I came up an hour or so later, I was informed that a bear ran around the house and headed down a deer trail nearby.
It's funny as I now take a look around when I leave the house and more so when I walk in the woods. I'm not worried as there's a greater chance of running into trouble living in the cities than there is living in the country.
I actual am enjoying these sightings. As much as I hate losing an apple tree, I must remember that they were here first and we are intruding on their territory.
If one chews me apart someday, I'll probably change my opinion....

2 comments:

Dave Anderson said...

Man that is really cool! I have bees in my back yard and though there are sitings as close a s White Bear Lake, they can stay away as far as I'm concerned. They make a great rug however!

jennykristt said...

Wow, really this is a good picture that of bear. See bear in real life in very open forest that's feel very excited and glad to us. Thanks for sharing wonderful picture here.
Antarctica Cruises 2011