Sunday, October 28, 2007

The hunter who hunts alone.....

Driving out in the dark isn't a problem. No conversation but with some tunes and coffee, it's ok. When you walk through the woods, you remember certain spots, where you or one of your buddies made a great shot (or blew one). Memories of previous hunts... You look to the left and then to the right, and no one is there.... Fortunately for me I had someone right behind me. My beautiful wife of 38 years refused to let me go alone, and knew I had to go. So, she trudged along to keep me company. I worked spots that would be easier on her and when she got tired, let her rest in the truck while I walked a couple of short stretches. We didn't hunt all day and if you measured success by the number of birds we brought home, well then it wasn't a successful hunt. We drove a bunch of gravel back roads home, stopped at the Dairy Queen and admired some Amish buildings along the way. It was a good hunt with some good memories.....

No comments: